Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: The first diesel engines built by Electric Boat for submarines were installed (1913) in the USS NAUTILUS and SEAWOLF, namesakes of the first nuclear powered submarines, also built by Electric Boat.
French Astronomer
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

oldsubs
Posted 2018-03-22 8:58 AM (#87956)

Historian

Subject: French Astronomer

A recent story about a French astronomer reminded me about a coup I scored on the Ustafish.

Twas a warm night on the USS Sterlet (SS-392) heading west from Pearl. Came up to the bridge (with permission) to look around. There was a running competition between the ETs on the radar and the lookouts about who could acquire a contact sooner. I asked to relieve the lookout for a bit to spend a bit more time topside as it was a beautiful night.
After a half hour I spotted an aircraft contact near the horizon. I could see the red light and a flashing white. I called it and the OOD asked if radar held the contact. They did not.

After about 20 minutes the contact had not changed bearing much but seemed to be coming closer. Still radar had not picked up the aircraft.

About that time the XO came up to the bridge. He looked around and commented to the OOD that the planet Mars was just visible above the horizon and pointed directly at my aircraft contact.

I asked to be relieved and after the lookout came up I laid below not paying any attention to the laughter in the conning tower.

A French Astronomer just misidentified Mars and reported an asteroid or some such as a new body to the international astronomy network.

Now I don't feel as embarrassed.

Be Well
Jim
Sewer Pipe Snipe
Posted 2018-03-22 12:42 PM (#87958 - in reply to #87956)
Master and Commander

Subject: RE: French Astronomer

When the 9 th Marines landed at Da Nang on May 8, 1965. A Gunny and a Lieutenant were in charge of night guard on the landing beach. There was a spectacular show going on off shore with a thunderstorm just a ripping and a roaring and lightening flashing. The Gunny said "In Coming!" The Lieutenant said "No I think it will head off shore." The mortars hit about forty seconds later. It was definitely a learning experience. 
Bob T
Posted 2018-03-23 1:52 PM (#87963 - in reply to #87956)

Senior Crew

Subject: RE: French Astronomer

Flashback time, sort of related.

Sea Devil, on the surface at night. Yours Truly is stbd. lookout. I heard aircraft engines, reported same, looking for aircraft with binoculars.

Just as I found it the P2 Neptune turned on the big ass carbon arc spotlight, the 7x50 binoculars worked great. My eyes, not so much.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software