Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: "I propose to you a new arm of war, as formidable as it is economical. Submarine navigation, which has been sometimes attempted, but as all know without results, owing to want of suitable opportunities, is now a problematical thing no more." - Brutus de Villeroi in a letter to President Lincoln, 1862
Net neutrality
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

steamboat
Posted 2017-12-14 5:06 PM (#86980)
Master and Commander

Subject: Net neutrality

Soooo, this net neutrality thingy, how is going to affect us here and other websites I might want to enjoy? A 'puter flunky wants to know!!

Steamboat sends
mike652
Posted 2017-12-14 5:58 PM (#86981 - in reply to #86980)
Great Sage of the Sea

Subject: RE: Net neutrality

Only time will tell.
Pedro
Posted 2017-12-14 7:04 PM (#86982 - in reply to #86980)

COMSUBBBS

First time I had heard about this emerging law so I checked it out. Here is a brief video guide (on link below) that summarises what might happen. Can't say it all sounds good but let's see what else transpires after all the negotiations are done.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/42341736/what-is-net-neutrality-and-how-could-it-affect-you

Pedro
GaryKC
Posted 2017-12-14 8:40 PM (#86983 - in reply to #86980)

COMSUBBBS

I'm sorry, I really searched to find any benefits for users.  

Edited by GaryKC 2017-12-14 8:52 PM

(ah fuk.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments ah fuk.jpg (147KB - 534 downloads)
steamboat
Posted 2017-12-15 4:10 AM (#86985 - in reply to #86982)
Master and Commander

Looks like it is all a part of what is sweeping the business communities world-wide....maximize profits for those corporations who are already ridiculously wealthy under the spurious assumption that improved services and profits will "trickle down". "We have to approve it before we know what is it."
Pedro: "let's see what else transpires after all the negotiations are done." Where have I heard that before? Oh yes, BREXIT!

Steamboat sends

Thomas Courtien
Posted 2017-12-15 4:26 AM (#86986 - in reply to #86980)
Master and Commander

Right now, I pay for access to read the newspaper, watch a you tube video from time to time; basically, low band width usage.

My neighbor streams movies; spends a weekend binge watching new shows; plays online video games; spends time on Facebook watching videos his friends post - so, for high band width usage he pays what I pay for access.

I do not have a problem with access fees being based on usage. Why should my bill cover another persons usage rate?

I believe an ISP is providing a service and if a consumer uses more of the service, then they should pay more; just like any other product.

Consumers pay the same price per apple; but, if you buy more apples then me, it cost you more.

If the ISP providers behave badly, the government can just step back in and regulate the internet again.

GaryKC
Posted 2017-12-15 8:44 AM (#86989 - in reply to #86980)

COMSUBBBS

Thomas, it's NOT about the cost of usage. It's about equal access to all web content without charging for higher-quality delivery or giving some sites preferential treatment. It's NOT about your neighbor's viewing habits, it's NOT about you having to pay for someone else's anything.

(big bucks.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments big bucks.jpg (172KB - 539 downloads)
steamboat
Posted 2017-12-15 10:23 AM (#86992 - in reply to #86980)
Master and Commander

I pay about $160/month for satellite . For that I receive 100 units (minutes?) a month. I can watch about 20 very short (1-2 minute) utubes a month. When my 100 units are up, I am down to dial-up speed, which usually happens about 20 days into my month. I simply cannot afford another fee added to my computer bills. I live in a very rural area which will never have cable or Wi-Fi. So I assume that the ISP owners are OK with losing thousands of customers like myself to pay for their greed? Another example of capitalism gone wild.... 3 greedy men can inflict this pain on millions.

Steamboat sends
mike652
Posted 2017-12-15 10:40 AM (#86993 - in reply to #86986)
Great Sage of the Sea

Thomas Courtien - 2017-12-15 7:26 AM

Right now, I pay for access to read the newspaper,
My neighbor streams movies; spends a weekend binge watching new shows; plays online video games;

Those are subscriptions.
What would you say if your service provider decided to make access to this site very slow while making access to non-military groups very fast?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software