Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: In World War II the Germans lost 782 submarines, the Japanese lost 130, Great Britan and Commonwealth countries lost 88 subs, Russia lost 110 submarines and the United States lost only 52 submarines. Twenty-three of the Japanese subs lost were victims of the American Submarine Service.
Adm. Ace Lyons speaks
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

fortyrod
Posted 2017-10-08 9:54 AM (#85304)
Great Sage of the Sea

Subject: Adm. Ace Lyons speaks

A thousand amens
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/sep/6/navy-ship-collisions-can-be-avoided-in-the-future/
GaryKC
Posted 2017-10-08 10:40 AM (#85305 - in reply to #85304)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: RE: Adm. Ace Lyons speaks

Received a link to this right wing propaganda piece in an email last month. Trashing one administration and blowing the current one by inciting hatred against any group is simply wrong. Of course, telling some folks that gays caused both collisions is what the U.S. needs now, don't wait for anyone to investigate what really happened. Keep stirring the hate pot, see what tasty dish is soon served. 
Pedro
Posted 2017-10-08 12:43 PM (#85308 - in reply to #85305)

COMSUBBBS

Gary,

Not that you need my endorsement , but I agree with your "stir the pot of hate" theory's that are being bandied around. During my service in boats I knew three gay submariners who defied their public and service images. They never bothered anyone aboard and kept their sexual preferences for their runs ashore - where it was nobodies business but their own.

One, who was nicknamed, Sadie, was awarded the Distinguished Service Medal for saving four crew members from an inboard fire disaster aboard a stricken boat. The other two, including Sadie, were the kind of guys you wanted guarding your backs during a bar-room punch up. Each and every one of them had more balls than the rest of the crews put together, when it came to dishing out left hooks and head butts to any opponents who crossed our paths when ashore. They were true shipmates and I'm proud to have served with them all. It is far too easy to judge a book by its cover and point fingers.

Pedro
rover177
Posted 2017-10-08 1:45 PM (#85310 - in reply to #85304)
Master and Commander

Our Divisional Officer training was a short period at the end of the Operational Courses of Operations and Weapons training in Southern England and then I believe two weeks or whatever period it was upon return to Australia. I never did the DO's course, went to Submarine School instead. Part of the Australian course was obviously to 'unlearn' the RN forms and to learn the 'right' ones.
The RN course had some days that the RAN and RNZN members weren't to sit - the fifth test was being played at The Oval, a much better venue. The game was abandoned because vandals desecrated the pitch.

Surface Warfare designation, I thought was the equivalent of PWO - Principal Warfare Officer, a jack of all trades but master of none. The AWO (Advanced Warfare Officer) course came later, for those who did sub-specialize into Navigation, Gunnery, Air, ASW etc. Learning to be an Officer of the Watch (Deck) and the Rule of the Road, the rules for Maritime Conduct at Sea, came long before learning to fight the ship.

I do agree that the Armed Forces should remain institutions where the taxpayer does NOT pay for any transgender medical situations, unless the service caused that medical situation to be required; probably most unlikely!
mike652
Posted 2017-10-08 2:38 PM (#85311 - in reply to #85304)
Great Sage of the Sea

The Admiral is 90 years old. I wonder just how his cognitive abilities are at that age.
steamboat
Posted 2017-10-08 3:25 PM (#85313 - in reply to #85305)
Master and Commander

Personally, I do not want to know what anyone does in their bedroom anymore than what they do in their bathroom! End of story.

Steamboat sends
rover177
Posted 2017-10-10 1:34 PM (#85325 - in reply to #85304)
Master and Commander

Mike - my former next door neighbour died from cancer complications in a hospice about four years ago. She was approaching 91. She had student bookings - English as a Second Language - even on that day. Still in full control of her faculties, not the internal fluid ruptures!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software