Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: The USS Blenny SS 324, on her last patrol of WW II sank 63 vessels. One by torpedo and 62 by deck gunfire, demolition charges set by boarding parties or by burning. On several occasions shotguns were fired through the boats bottoms. These were all vessels under the 500 ton JANAC limit for tonnage sunk and not counted in the "official" totals or ships sunk. This is also a record for the most vessels ever sunk by a submarine on one patrol.
A Tribute to a Sailor
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Thomas Courtien
Posted 2014-08-07 6:34 AM (#72119)
Master and Commander

Subject: A Tribute to a Sailor

I was doing some other research on a relative who was in the US Navy, and "lost at sea" when I came across this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6UtLYybM8I

I think it is quite a beautiful tribute

Ric
Posted 2014-08-07 7:30 AM (#72122 - in reply to #72119)

Plankowner

Subject: RE: A Tribute to a Sailor

Tom
What was your relatives name?
Bob Mahon
Posted 2014-08-07 7:29 PM (#72125 - in reply to #72119)

Great Sage of the Sea

I was on the USS Wrangell (AE 12) for a while and I was told that (rumored) the Hood's anchor was found 12 miles inland. Knowing what we carried, I would not seriously doubt it.
A tragic story but beautiful tribute.
Thomas Courtien
Posted 2014-08-07 8:41 PM (#72126 - in reply to #72119)
Master and Commander

Ric,

The relative is actually my daughter-in-law's Great Grand Father's brother (her Great - Great Uncle?).

Here is the story I am writing for her family, that I have already pieced together.

If you have any thoughts or information it will be appreciated.

James Crowley (brother of John Crowley – Suzanne’s Great Grandfather)

James was born April 13, 1900. At the age of 9 years, his father (43 years old) died; six years later, when James was 15, one of his older brothers died.

On the Crowley grave stone at Old St. Raymond Cemetery in the Bronx, NY. The inscription for James reads – Lost At Sea with the U.S.S.S. Rochester Nov. 2, 1917.

Now the name of the ship was S.S. Rochester, since it was a merchant vessel. The U.S.S. Rochester was a renamed US Navy Cruiser in WWI which did not put to sea as the Rochester until after James died.

James is also listed on the Tablets of the Missing at the Brookhaven American Cemetery in England, along with the other USN Armed Guard crew members.

The US declared war on the Central Powers (Germany; etc.) on April 6, 1917. James entered the US Navy on April 24, 1917, 11 days after his 17th birthday – he would never reach the age of 18 years old.

James first went to the Naval Training Station at Newport RI from 4/24/17 to 5/25/17 as an Apprentice Seaman.

He was then transferred to the USS New York BB-34 (a battleship) in Norfolk VA for further training until July 9, 1917. James was then assigned to the US Navy Armed Guard aboard the SS Rochester, a merchant cargo ship.

The US Navy Armed Guard consisted of sailors posted aboard civilian manned merchant ships during WWI to operate the defensive guns used to deter Surface Raiders and Submarines. The Armed Guards duty was to protect the merchant ship from being sunk by enemy action.

It was 4:40 in the afternoon on the 2nd of November 1917 as the SS Rochester rode high in the water off the north west of Ireland heading back to Baltimore having just delivered cargo for the Allied war effort at the Port of Manchester in England. The cargo for the return trip was listed as “in ballast” meaning that she was carrying extra water to keep on an even keel for the voyage to Baltimore to pick up more cargo.

The official US Navy casualty report reads:

------------------------------------------------------
2 November 1917

S.S. ROCHESTER

At 4:40 p.m. about 350 miles from the northwestern coast of Ireland, a German submarine torpedo struck the ship on the starboard side abreast of the after end of the engineroom. The following men, members of the armed guard, lost their lives through exposure in open boats.

CORUM, Marshall U. Seaman 2 class
CROWLEY, James Seamen 2 class
COX, Mearl R. Seamen 2 class
DONOVAN, Bernard J. Seamen 2 class
GRAGG, Ernest H. Seamen 2 class
WHEELER, George F. Seamen 2 class

6 enlisted men
---------------------------------------------------

The Rochester was sunk by a torpedo fired from a submarine commanded by Athalwin Prinz. Within 2 months, this submarine would be listed by the German navy as missing – officially considered lost.

Two web sites refer to this boat as U95; but, the details are a little confusing. I cannot tell if the owners of these pages are dealing with facts or supposition.

Ric
Posted 2014-08-07 9:05 PM (#72127 - in reply to #72126)

Plankowner

Looking around for James.

Here is probably the best German uboat sight on trhe web.
http://uboat.net/wwi/boats/index.html?boat=95
Thomas Courtien
Posted 2014-08-08 6:03 PM (#72152 - in reply to #72119)
Master and Commander

That's a great site - thanks Ric
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software